House in Multiple Occupation conditions

Closed 30 Dec 2022

Opened 7 Oct 2022


Under the terms of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006, the Council is required to license Houses in Multiple Occupation (‘HMOs’) where three or more individuals or families both live in a property and share facilities in it.  

All HMO licences granted by the Council are subject to a set of standard conditions which licence holders must comply with.

Conditions HMO11 and HMO12 of the Council’s standard conditions set out the requirements which must be met by licence holders in relation to providing contact details to residents.

Why your views matter

Currently, the standard licence conditions require licence holders to provide the Council with an emergency contact number (HMO11) and give neighbour notifications (HMO12) once per term of licence, which could be every three years.

A motion, agreed by the Council, suggested that conditions HMO11 and HMO12 could be strengthened by making this an annual requirement.

We want to know if you think that this should be changed.

What happens next

Results will be presented to the Council's Regulatory Committee for consideration.


  • All Areas


  • Anyone from any background


  • Looked after and accommodated children
  • Adults and Older People
  • Carers
  • Children and Families
  • Disabilities
  • Health and Wellbeing
  • Paying for Care
  • Poverty and Inequality
  • People with mental health issues
  • People with addictions
  • Offenders
  • All interests
  • Cycling and walking
  • Park and ride
  • Parking permits
  • Parking spaces
  • Parking tickets
  • Public Transport
  • Roads and pavements
  • Trams
  • Road safety
  • Traffic regulation
  • Travel in Edinburgh
  • Housing benefit
  • Welfare reform
  • Commercial bins and recycling
  • Non-commercial bins and recycling
  • Business rates
  • Economic development
  • Food safety
  • Health and safety
  • Licences and permits
  • Scientific services
  • Support for businesses
  • Trading standards
  • Births, marriages and deaths
  • Budgets and spending
  • Community planning
  • Councillors and committees
  • Access to information
  • Elections and voting
  • Funding opportunities
  • Performance and statistics
  • Policies, plans and strategies
  • Community safety
  • Crime & Antisocial behaviour
  • Emergency planning
  • Flooding
  • Protect someone from harm
  • Severe weather
  • Noise
  • Pest control
  • Pollution
  • Biodiversity
  • Landscape designations
  • Nature
  • Council and housing association homes
  • Homeless or at risk
  • Housing support
  • Private housing
  • Council homes
  • Jobs and training
  • Jobs and training for young people
  • Volunteer
  • Arts and culture
  • Archives and local history
  • Museums and galleries
  • Parks and green spaces
  • Sport, activities and dance
  • Libraries
  • Building warrants
  • Conservation
  • Enforcement
  • Land and property
  • Local plans and guidelines
  • Planning applications
  • Permissions for development
  • Area regeneration
  • Public space
  • Adult and community learning & development
  • Nurseries and childcare
  • Parental engagement
  • Schools
  • Youth clubs and participation