Licensing of Sexual Entertainment Venues

Closed 17 Aug 2019

Opened 8 Jul 2019


The Scottish Government has introduced legislation which allows councils to license ‘Sexual Entertainment Venues’ (SEVs).

The intention behind the legislation is to prevent crime, ensure the safety of staff and customers and prevent nuisance. Please see the 'Background information' document attached below for more information and explanation.

The definition of a SEV is provided by legislation, and relates to premises providing 'sexual entertainment' - often referred to as ‘lap dancing’. 

This consultation asks whether Sexual Entertainment Venues should be licensed in the city. If the Council decides that these premises should not be licensed, the venues will continue to operate as they do currently.

Adoption of the powers to license SEVs does not imply approval of these types of premises by the Council.

Premises used as massage parlours or saunas are not included in this legislation or in the definition of sexual entertainment, and will not be affected by these proposals.

Why your views matter

The aims of the consultation are:

- to seek views on whether the Council should adopt these powers; and

- to gain a broader understanding of community views on the potential shape of a licensing system for Sexual Entertainment Venues, if it was introduced.

What happens next

Responses will be reviewed and a report will be presented to a future meeting of the Regulatory Committee for consideration.


  • All Edinburgh


  • Anyone from any background


  • Looked after and accommodated children
  • Adults and Older People
  • Carers
  • Children and Families
  • Disabilities
  • Health and Wellbeing
  • Paying for Care
  • Poverty and Inequality
  • People with mental health issues
  • People with addictions
  • Offenders
  • All interests
  • Cycling and walking
  • Park and ride
  • Parking permits
  • Parking spaces
  • Parking tickets
  • Public Transport
  • Roads and pavements
  • Trams
  • Road safety
  • Traffic regulation
  • Travel in Edinburgh
  • Housing benefit
  • Welfare reform
  • Commercial bins and recycling
  • Non-commercial bins and recycling
  • Business rates
  • Economic development
  • Food safety
  • Health and safety
  • Licences and permits
  • Scientific services
  • Support for businesses
  • Trading standards
  • Births, marriages and deaths
  • Budgets and spending
  • Community planning
  • Councillors and committees
  • Access to information
  • Elections and voting
  • Funding opportunities
  • Performance and statistics
  • Policies, plans and strategies
  • Community safety
  • Crime & Antisocial behaviour
  • Emergency planning
  • Flooding
  • Protect someone from harm
  • Severe weather
  • Noise
  • Pest control
  • Pollution
  • Biodiversity
  • Landscape designations
  • Nature
  • Council and housing association homes
  • Homeless or at risk
  • Housing support
  • Private housing
  • Council homes
  • Jobs and training
  • Jobs and training for young people
  • Volunteer
  • Arts and culture
  • Archives and local history
  • Museums and galleries
  • Parks and green spaces
  • Sport, activities and dance
  • Libraries
  • Building warrants
  • Conservation
  • Enforcement
  • Land and property
  • Local plans and guidelines
  • Planning applications
  • Permissions for development
  • Area regeneration
  • Public space
  • Adult and community learning & development
  • Nurseries and childcare
  • Parental engagement
  • Schools
  • Youth clubs and participation